Coaching Sound Bites
The team that wins is not the most brilliant; it is the team that makes the fewest mistakes.
- When the crew makes a mistake; it’s the skipper’s fault.
- When the skipper makes a mistake; it’s the crew’s fault.
Strategy & Tactics:
- Strategy is good, tactics are evil.
- Find the line.
- Start where the others are not.
- Play the favored side of the fleet, not the corner of the course.
- When boat A hails “starboard” to boat B, boat C gains.
- At a crowded weather mark, overlay the mark and the traffic.
- Never get fouled.
- Lateral Separation is better in the long run.
- The passing lane is outside the wake.
- At a crowded leeward mark, slow up to win.
- Round the gate mark that has the path of least resistance.
- Unlike the wind; the current is a known variable.
- 100’ of drift in 1 minute equals 1 knot of current.
- Overcompensate for current as others under compensate.
- What time you arrive at a regatta is not a function of speed; it is a function of what time you leave.
- Avoid the three deadly D’s: Drunk, drowsy, distracted.
Personal Risk Management:
- Never, ever break two laws simultaneously.